Friday, September 11, 2026

Kayak Mornings

 The kayak is a solitary boat. You paddle alone. Grief is a solitary boat. You paddle alone."

From:Roger Rosenblatt’s poignant memoir Kayak Morning: Reflections on Love, Grief, and Small Boats,

I read the book Kayak Morning many years ago. It is about the grief of the author, Roger Rosenblatt after his daughter died. (he has beautiful essays in NY Times) I always remembered this book and wanted to someday be able to wake up and kayak on a still lake. 

And here I am.

 Only it is a pond, not a lake. In Maine there are lots of ponds and I think it has to do with how deep they are. This pond seems like a lake to me but I read that it is only 18 feet deep. 





All is well in our little "camp" as they call our cabin. It is perfect for us and we are enjoying the pond, the loons, the beauty all around.

We have explored a bit. We went  into Cornish and took in the antique shops and had lunch. We also visited the Amish store not far from Greta's home.  It has no electricity and yet they keep eggs, produce, cheese, and milk (raw) all cold. They use ice that they dig up  in the winter. It also is not unusual to see a horse drawn carriage go down the street with a bearded Amish man driving. 



Last night...Lobsta at Greta and Zach's home. Then we went and look towards  Mt Washington  which will sent two light beams into the night sky to memorialize 9-11. (Update..it was too cloudy to see the lights..will try tonight)

Julie leaves today and Bonnie leaves  on Sunday. Our stay here is over on Sunday too. I will head for home on the 16th via Canada. (more on that later..I need to plan!)

No comments: