Monday, August 24, 2026

Herr Kelly and Frau Kelly and ME!!

Nikki, Joe and Me

 


I made it to Bloomburg PA yesterday.....My destination was the home of my former principal Joe Kelly. 

A few stories about my time working with  Joe. He was the American principal at JFK School in Berlin, where I was the librarian for 2 years. When I arrived I entered a library that was ugly, dirty uninviting, plus there were no instructions on  how to manage the library. What I needed was passwords! 

My aide was Ana Rose who immediately hated me. I also had another German aid named Lutz. Ana Rose did all she could to sabatoge me. She told me Lutz had a condidion and could not clean..and cleaning was not in her contract..So it was up to me to clean. Now this library was HUGE...65,000 books which is unheard of for a school library. 

I totally flipped the library..painted the posts different colors with "read" in many languages, got red leather sofas, put in magazine racks, flowers, plants, posters and painted a break room green and it became the LGBT meeting room as well as the craft club. The library now rocked! Ana Rose hated it all. So I scheculed a meething with Herr Kelly and asked  him to ask Lutz in German if he was too ill to clean. He wasn't..Ana Rose made it all up. So she was banished to the copy room. Thanks Joe.

One more thing..JFK school was is big deal. (joint venture with US and DE Embassy's) On the day the Berlin mayor was to visit (who was Gay BTW) someone informed me that the new aid was downloading porn in the middle of the library..where the mayor would be walking through. Once again Joe had to bail me out of this pickle. The aid was fired. 

Joe and Nikki


So as you can see we had a lot to talk about. We all LOVED Berlin. We talked about our favorite restaurants, the trains, the beer, the lakes, and what an amazing experience it was. 

I don't think I have ever been in a more perfect house and perfect yard.  The huge lawn didn't even need a sprinkler system. It rained about 3 times while I was there so I can see why no sprinkler system is needed.

They fixed me a lovely dinner, breakfast too. 

It was a most wonderful visit. 


             Love, Frau Rybus 

No comments: