Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Cranes...HIppos..Tornados

 I left Larson's Landing as early as I could. Packed up the van..took Ruthie for a short walk or as Tom used to say "a short" and headed out. I didn't even fix coffee. I went to Perkins for breakfast and filled up my thermos with coffee. 

On the road again. !! (thanks Willie) 

I am now in Wisconsin. It is so green and beautiful here. I am in a town called Baraboo. I am staying at a brewery and it is a good thing. Why??? They have a basement..

I was in my van when a loud warning came on "seek shelter, tornado likely". Well sitting in the van wasn't a good idea..so Ruthie and I went to the brewery and they showed us to the basement. Which, by the way, is where they make beer!! The storm passed and we were safe.

I met a really nice couple in the basement. It felt so good to talk to someone. This trip can get lonesome. I wonder if others who have lost a partner feel sad seeing couples together.

Ok..onward to the fun part of the day. The International Crane Foundation Discovery Center. Wow..oh wow.  There were cranes there from all over the world. And beautiful wild flowers too. I was lucky I survived almost being eaten by a hippo. 








Here is some crane trivia:

There are cranes who migrate at 29,000 feet..Higher than Mt Everest. 
Some cranes have wattles..and their purpose is to express crane emotions..



Tomorrow...Chicago!!!




(about the hippo...it seemed a bit weird that he was there..but maybe there is some connection to Cranes and I didn't stop and read about it. ) 









9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good writing, adventures everywhere!

Barbara Cochrane said...

Every morning I read your latest post and send a small blessing for another beautiful day of traveling for you. Your comment about being more conscious of all the couples which you are now not, is prevalent in us freshly single women (probably men too). At my age it’s not as unsettling as it used to be, but I think it is much more powerful when traveling. Solo travel opens possibilities for new connections which I didn’t used to try when in the comfort of my partner. So that’s a positive! Here’s to New Connections!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog Pam. It is like you are here talking to me. What an adventure! Sally

Anonymous said...

I hope the brewery made beer available during the storm! Jill

Anonymous said...

Jim and I are following along every day, hoping you stay safe and meet many kind and friendly people. (Jim was a little concerned about scary spots with bullet holes in the cans.) Travel well, my friend!

sbeech said...

wow, you find such cool spots to visit, the basement of a brewery, for example. no more seriously, i love cranes, how ever did you find that place? wonder if you saw any black-necked cranes, one of my favorites….

Lorrie said...

I’ve been out of touch but I’m loving the catch up. Sounds like a typical Pammy adventure. Hey, Ive been to the Crane foundation and Bear-poo as the grands call it. Love you! Ramble on!

Anonymous said...

Suzanne Locklear you are my Shero!! This is a great blog to look forward to! 🎵🎶🎼

Anonymous said...

A hippo and cranes—good luck spirit animals! I, too, went to Baraboo on a solo journey.